Sunday, June 1, 2008

DeerCreek Reservoir...... COLD!!!






Yesterday we hit the lake for the first time in 6 years. Luckily for us, my dad had one of his mini midlife crisis's and bought another boat. Years ago, we would have a boat on the water at least 2 or 3 times a week. It was my dads favorite thing to do for his kids. And, it was always well received.

From the time i was a few months old, i spent at least one week a year living in a houseboat on the lake famously explored by the great John Wesley Powell. Whether it was with the Marsh family, or the Twichells, it was my favorite thing in the world. Its been 8 long years since I've been able to enjoy the beautiful,(sometimes eerie) green waters of my beloved lake. 8 years since I've hiked its amazing landscape. 8 years since I've been able to use a floating restroom. 8 years since I've been able to carve the smoothest glass on the planet. And 8 years since I've been able to see the look on my dads face that only shows at Lake Powell. And, its looking like this summer will be my homecoming.

Anyway, yesterday we hit the lake hard. We left my dads around 4pm, and arrived at the lake around 5.... what?....we didn't fill up with fuel?!.... Do we need gas?! After driving to Heber, we were on the lake at 6. The girls were already cold, and we still had the boat on the trailer. I wonder if 40 degree water would be an issue? I was the first in the water. Quickly, my "outie" turned into an "innie".... Melissa was the lakes next victim, struggling to remember how to breath... And then Bec jumped in...... the only time she wasn't screaming was when she was under water.... For those who know the chill of Moon Lake, this made Moon Lake feel like a relaxing bath. We were all impressed with the skills of our safety coordinator, Brenda, who handled that flag like a pro. And, of course the Captain, who seemed somewhat out of place without his trusty "FBI" hat, but still kept the boat off the rocks.

Till next time.


After Rob posted this I found this online while searching how cold the water was, it is reporting that it was in the 40's and here is what followed-
COLD WATER CAN BE DEADLY!!! Most people can SURVIVE ONLY FIVE TO 10 MINUTES IN 40-DEGREE WATER before succumbing to hypothermia. You never know when you might end up in the water. WEARING A LIFE JACKET NOT ONLY KEEPS YOU AFLOAT, BUT PROVIDES AN EXTRA LAYER OF WARMTH. The combination of additional heat and floatation might mean the difference between life and death!!!

4 comments:

Bridget said...

You must have been anxious to get out to brave the cold water. I bet it was still fun and something you won't forget. Although, the temperatures might get colder each time the story is told (j/k).

Carmen (Cholico) Lynch said...

Looks like fun...cold but fun!

Julie said...

Gotta love the lake... even if we do freeze right? Looks like you had a blast! I'm glad Melissa is back... we missed her!

Merrills said...

howdy tell Mel I think she is a rock star!!! I wish I still looked as hot as you do in swimmy suit.